While the team competition has been fierce at Granite Games this weekend, in Africa, there was one team that stood head and shoulders above the rest to dominate the competition.
One big thing: At the close of the team competition at Fittest In Cape Town, not only did CrossFit Eikestad punch their ticket to the Games, they also became the first team to sweep a semifinal and the first CrossFit gym to have two teams standing on the podium.
- Over the course of the weekend, the Eikestad Mighty Oaks dominated the competition winning every single event, beating their fellow competitors by multiple minutes in almost every single workout.
- This will be CrossFit Eikestad’s first team ever at the Games and with a largely rookie roster, it will be the first time at the Games for everyone on the team.
- Their first place finish, however, comes as no surprise to anyone, after a first place finish in the team quarterfinals and team member Mariska Smit’s first place finish in Africa in the Open.
- Callum Deeble
- Mariska Smit
- Jaco Brits
- Nadine Roos
The intergym battle: Not only will CrossFit Eikestad’s Mighty Oaks be competing at the Games, Eikestad also put another team on the podium in third place overall.
- “The dream for the Mighty Oaks to go to the CrossFit Games started at the end of 2019 when we realized we had four athletes that will be able to compete and train together for the foreseeable future,” said CrossFit Eikestad.
- “As soon as the rumors started that Crossfit HQ was going to be returning the Affiliate Cup we knew the dream was alive and we started working and planning. It made it so much better when we received the news that FICT will be the official semi-final for the Africa region,” they said.
- We felt everything was falling into place and that motivated us to train even harder. So for the past 4 to 5 months we’ve been living and prepping for this moment,” they continued.
- “To have a second team on the podium is a testimony to the culture, training and support that is the CrossFit Eikestad community,” they concluded.